Wednesday, August 3, 2022

New York, First Impressions, Old Friends


I dropped by New York City to visit some of my oldest friends from college. In terms of activities, it was pretty standard- wandering around Manhattan, the Met, etc. However, even though I've done most of the city sightseeing already, I still had a couple new experiences. Apparently, there is an air tram connecting Manhattan to Roosevelt Island, and it provides a very nice view:


Also, I went to NY's Chinatown, which was another first for me. The variety of goods that are sold in the shops and street stands is pretty astounding, but $2 for 3 lbs of strawberries? Hell yes. Oh, and the food is worth the trip. Some restaurants seem to serve fairly authentic food, as dishes like duck tongue probably have rather niche client bases in the US. But the bean curd and vegetable soup was outstanding. The near-by ice cream shop we visited, Soft Swerve, served some very unusual flavors (from a western perspective). Black sesame, sesame oil, and ube soft serve ice creams are all on offer. Although I can't write about the sesame flavors, I vouch for the amazing-ness of the ube. My friends and I couldn't agree what the flavor reminded us of- I said a hint of vanilla, they said peanuts. We did agree that it was delicious though.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed in the Past Year