Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Seasons 52 (Burlington, MA)

 I don't frequent fancy restaurants. Even having waiters is a relatively rare occurrence for me. However, when invited to Seasons 52, I usually don't say no. It has been a family staple when celebrating big events- important birthdays, graduations, etc... This time? Just celebrating a Tuesday evening in the middle of June. Nothing fancy occurred, but every once in a while, it's important to remember the saying:

Yesterday is history.

Tomorrow is a mystery.

But today is a gift.

That's why it's called the "present".

And so, out we went to celebrate that we were together and that we were fortunate enough to be able to treat ourselves. 

Seasons 52 is famous for a few things. Among them- 52 different wines served by the glass and a rotating seasonal menu that offers fare that is fresh and made with the food that's in season. When we got there, it happened to be the first day of the summer menu. And, amazingly, they had a dish similar to the one that I'd been talking about for a week- watermelon salad. I first tried this at a tapas restaurant. There, it had been a watermelon, feta, and mint salad. Seasons did it a bit differently- watermelon, tomato, feta, and arugula. Of course, I ordered it.

Surprisingly few options on the menu were vegetarian friendly, which is something to consider if anyone in your party has such dietary restrictions. In the end, I partook in the mozzarella, basil, and sundried tomato flatbread that was ordered for the table as a starter, and the aforementioned watermelon salad. They did not skip on the flatbread toppings- gooey cheese, sweet tomatoes that still had a slight tang for contrast, and basil generously coated the bread, which was the most disappointing part of the dish. The watermelon salad was great as well. My only complaint was that the balance of acid was a little off in my opinion- having a little more would introduce a way to cut through the sweetness a little more. Personally, I would have added a little bit of apple cider vinegar. I'm no chef though and I am sure that the people developing the dish have much more discerning palettes.

Service was great, as it always is there. I previously mentioned that it was a Tuesday evening. Surprisingly, the restaurant was packed, making me quite happy that we'd made a reservation. Waitstaff were friendly, but a little frazzled. I had a good view of the bar where the wines were set out in preparation to be served and saw two glasses dropped and broken within a span of three minutes. Yet everyone was friendly and did their jobs efficiently, which is all that I truly care about.


Food: 5/5

Price: 3/5 

Service: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed in the Past Year