Sunday, May 21, 2023

The language of music

I've heard that one way to gauge your understanding of a language is to listen to music in that language. When you understand the lyrics, you theoretically have a good grasp, since you are able to filter it out from the surrounding "distractions". I hope that the inverse isn't true for this one, as in poor understanding of lyrics indicates poor comprehension, since it implies that my English is rather lacking... Anecdotally, it took me way too long to learn that this wasn't "I'm falling through feces" in Breakeven by The Script.

Specifically, at the 1:16 mark, link here. Or the full song below:


Man, I haven't heard this a while. Made me rather nostalgic. It brought back many memories from long, summer days in the gym, where the radio would blast songs like this.

What I find most interesting, is when the mind conjures up lyrics that don't exist there. I recently had the Game of Thrones soundtrack on in the background while studying and realized that my mind generated the following lyrics:

"I am ... an amoeba... duh-nuh-nuh"

for one of the main themes in a piece, linked here to the right timestamp. Completely ridiculous, but the issue is that every time I hear it now, I can't help but sing that. Full song below as well, since it is a truly masterful piece.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed in the Past Year