Sunday, December 25, 2022

A midnight flowery cactus

    Vanilla is unfairly treated. And I say this as someone who grew up considering it the "boring" ice cream flavor. In reality, there is so much depth that can be extracted. Case in point - ice cream or yogurt with good Madagascar Vanilla. Especially vanilla extract with a hint of bourbon. When added to a smooth, creamy, dairy product, vanilla can hit all the right notes, providing a nuanced flavor profile. 

    Which brings me to my actual thoughts - I feel like every passing year brings an increasing variety of (what I perceive to be) exotic flavors to the market. The other day, I was at the grocery store and saw that Aura Bora (not a sponsor) water was on sale. Seltzer is always great, so I picked up a couple cans. And well, who knew that "Cactus Rose" is that much nicer than "Lavender Cucumber". The later was a bit disjointed, providing a lavender-dominated aroma as I lifted the can, but the cucumber overwhelmed everything the moment it made contact with my tongue. Unfortunately, the powerful note also tended to linger a bit too long. "Cactus Rose" was much better balanced. It tastes the way a Honeycrisp apple wants to smell. No single note is overwhelming, and even the aftertaste is more subtle. If I buy these again, I'm definitely going for this one. Although some of their other flavors also sound pretty unique.

    As for the uniqueness, I've reached the conclusion that some brands are trying too hard to entice customers by throwing around unexpected flavors and generally just trying to sound fancy. I guess it works - I did end up buying those cans of seltzer, even though I hadn't planned on it. But I don't see myself becoming a regular customer. Aura Bora cranks up the price, playing on their elevated flavors, but it's just not worth it. A glass of regular carbonated water with a slice of lemon generally fills the need for me. Although fancy stuff can be nice in life, there is a true elegance in being able to nail the basics beautifully, to elevate simplicity.

    Perhaps I'm just a prole. But at the same time, maybe the brands are wrong and Occam is right. Maybe sometimes the simplest answer is the right one.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed in the Past Year