Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Oh Canada, The Ski and Riding Land

Closing out my travels for 2022 was a trip to Mount Tremblant in Canada, to spend five days skiing and snowboarding. Well, it was supposed to be five days, but the weather had other plans. It's a bit of a drive to get there, but a totally worth it. Pretty standard first two days, but the giant cyclone hitting most of the continental US on 12/26 hit us pretty hard as well. As in, the mountain closed for the first time since 1998. It kept snowing the next two days as well, creating amazing deep powder. Ultimately, what was supposed to be riding Wednesday - Sunday got switched around a bit. We rode Wednesday and Thursday, rested on Friday, rode with a bit of a caveat on Saturday, and had amazing riding on Sunday.

By Sunday, we'd seen about 70 cm of fresh snowfall in a bit over two days. We were ready when the mountain opened and hit the deep, loose powder even on the trails. So much so, that at one point the front of my board dipped a bit and went under. I came to a stop buried up to mid-thigh in snow and had to dig to try to find my bindings and extricate both myself and the board. 

Saturday had a bit of a caveat due to the lingering aftershocks of Friday's storm. There were still high winds and power issues, so only one lift was running. The line was awful. So, my father and I took matters into our own hands and hiked up the slopes several times instead of spending the time waiting. Funny enough, the time walked vs the time we would have stood was almost the same. Tiring fun, but totally worth the effort, since I got some awesome photos. 

At Tremblant's base, there is a pedestrian village with shops, food, etc. There is a little cafe which I scouted out during a previous visit with a friend. I'm happy to say that it is still serving up great coffee, pastries, and lunches. 

Now for some photos:








And Burton, if you need photos of your boards, I'm happy to sell :)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Viewed in the Past Year